Thursday, February 10, 2011

My First Plarn

Are you familiar with plarn? Living this modern life, I find I am inundated with plastic bags, whether it be from the grocery store or the local thrift store. There a re some practical household uses for them, but trash can lining doesn't eat them nearly as fast as making plarn.

This is my first plarn project - a small (about 6 inches across at the base) crocheted basket. I find plarn (at least the kind I was using with this) is not unlike working with stretchy raffia. The texture and visual effect is similar. There's a certain amount of rigidity - because it's crochet - but it's also very pliable. (I don't know what kind of tensile strength it has, but I hope to find out in the future.) Despite its pliability, it is a bit hard on the hands, like cotton yarn. I have more projects in the works - coming soon!

No comments: