Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Hex Scrap Afghan

This is an afghan I have been working on using vintage yarn oddballs I got from my grandmother and grand aunt. I noticed there was a bit of interest in it over at Ravelry, so I've decided to post my recipe here. I apologize beforehand on my garbled instructions!

Hex Scrap Afghan


Yarn and equipment
I used worsted and aran weight yarn for this project on an H/5 mm hook, and sometimes doubled sports weight yarns. It’s all a matter of preference – whatever works for you!

A NOTE ON COLOR: I had a loose color strategy with this afghan that you might find useful. It was based on two points: #1 was to use no white or cream. #2 was to use one color that really popped in each hex, and mixing it with colors similar but not as obnoxious as it to make it blend. For example, neon pink went between orange or red sometimes, or brown, etc. This meant that I could use all the CalTrans Orange and chartreuse 1970's yarn I had without being blinded by the end result. :)

Abbreviations:
Ch = chain
Sl = slip stitch
Dc = double crochet
St = stitch

Basic Hex:

Set-up: Chain 6, join with sl to make circle, careful not to twist.

Row 1: Chain 4 (3 ch = 1 dc, + ch1), *dc in next st, ch 1, repeat from* 11 times, sl into the 3rd ch st of the chain 4 made to begin the row. This should look like a wagon wheel. Cut yarn and change color.

Row 2: Join new yarn at a “ch 1” in preferred method. (I like to do a sl where I pull the yarn end through the stitch so that I can secure it by crocheting over it with the next couple stitches.) After joining yarn, ch 3, dc into same space (makes 2 dc), 2 dc into following st, chain 2, *2 dc into next st, 2 dc into next stitch, ch 2, repeat from * until you have six ch 2 spaces, sl into the top of the ch 3 you began the row with. Cut yarn and change color.

Row 3: Join yarn at a “ch 2” space, ch 3, then work 3 dc’s between it and the next “ch 2” space, 1 dc into “ch 2” space, ch 2, *1 dc into “ch 2” space, work 3 dc’s between it and the next “ch 2” space, 1 dc into “ch 2” space, ch 2, repeat from * until you have six “ch 2” spaces. Cut yarn and change color again.

And from there its basically Row 3 over and over again with 2 dc’s added between the “ch 2” spaces for each following row. For instance, Row 4 has 5 dc’s, Row 5 has 7 dc’s, etc. I stop alternating colors at Row 4 and make Row 5 my background color (black). Then I mattress stitch it all together.

I hope this isn’t too confusing - I've just tossed these instructions together. Let me know if you need clarification.

6 comments:

Vegan Pi said...

Wow a post on your blog!

I don't remember my crochet lessons. I think I need you to come back to Boston and re-teach me how.

That is pretty, I might try to figure it out to use up a bunch of yarn that my grandma gave me.

Anonymous said...

Cute! One of these days I have to learn crochet.

Echo M said...

this is wonderful, I am trying to figure out how to make a purse from this. I love the brightness! I think I might do this and outline all the hexes in black like you did but with some more muted tones.

melt said...

Hi Praxis, found you on ravelry & you have got me inspired! I'm very new to crochet (second project only) so sorry if this is a silly question. I'm trying to figure out how to get started... Is the dc in row 1 into the stitch or the central ring (as for a granny square?). If it's into the stitch, how to you get to 11? Do you do 2 repeats in each stitch of the ring?
Thanks heaps!

Unknown said...

I am a lazy crocheter - I tend to do my dc's into the ring, not the stitches, when I start out.

Unknown said...

I saw this on Pinterest with a border. Do you know of a pattern for it?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/263742121904277320/