Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My own garden

One foible of living in a city  - especially a big city (Philadelphia has about 1.5 million people!) with a population density of something like 14,000 people per square mile - is gardening space. Fortunately, Philadelphia has a lot of community gardens, so some people can scratch that particular itch to a certain extent. But I want my own garden. And I got one!

I know it doesn't look like much!
I've been given permission to have my way with this disused, rather shady backyard  about a block from where I am currently living. There IS a yard at my current residence, but who knows how long I will be here? And even though I will not be living at this garden, nor own it, I have had a degree of autonomy there so far that I could not get at home. Also, I could move from where I am to anywhere in the neighborhood and it would make no difference to this garden. One thing gardens need is more than just a season; this way, I can get that.

 I've been working at the garden when the weather (and mood) permits, so it looks more like this now.

My housemate Bob, who has worked on clearing this backyard in the past and who hooked me up with the possibility of it, cut down the tree in the back of the garden and has been chopping it up for firewood for the garden's planned fire pit. The brick walkway was laid by one of the owners and their tenant several years ago - I simply uncovered it. I have been doing a fair amount of excavation.
And I've done even more since this photo was taken.
The plan? A somewhat shady garden with some organic vegetable and herb growing. Something to get me some exercise, get me some fresh food, get the kid a safe space to play in and a nice place for people to hang out around a fire pit.

No comments: