Monday, November 18, 2013

Dollmaking

I have probably mentioned this before, but I am venturing into dollmaking. Specifically, the Waldorf-style doll.
 
Oh, and I have something like internet again.
 
This fellow here is one of my smaller dolls, about 9" long. I'm experimenting with various styles - there's the traditional floppy ragdoll style, or the half button-jointed style (arms jointed, legs simply sewn on or an extension of the body), full button-jointing, and of course, any of the above button-jointing variations done with HIDDEN button-jointing (the buttons are INSIDE the limb, so they can't be bitten off or just be, you know... unseemly.) This fellow below is fully hidden button-jointed.
 

He embraces big hair.
Originally, this doll was going to be a girl. Or, since dolls really only have secondary sex characters (and in saying that, I'm being generous - it's really just the hair and clothes) this fellow could also be a short-haired girl. I don't know. Much like with the scrupulously blank expression, you can go ahead and imagine whatever you want with this doll. Whichever they are, they like butterflies. The hair is a mohair wig I crocheted, and since I am experimenting left and right, it was an experiment that proved to me just how to make extremely fluffy, full, too much hair. So I cut most of it off. I didn't want the doll mistaken for a feather duster.
The artistic photo. Sort of.
I made the clothing and shoes, which were also all prototypes and took forever because of it. I am very pleased with the shoes, which are a kind of simplified Converse-inspired style with an elastic band cunningly (if I do say so myself) used to eliminate pesky issues like buttons and Velcro and snaps. The pants have pockets in front and back. The butterfly t-shirt Velcro's closed in the back.

Some quick thoughts on dollclothes
About the same time I was sewing up the clothes for this blondie, I was making Barbie clothes for V. Barbie. Oh, ok, I was making myself Barbie clothes for V.'s Barbie that she didn't play with. I was getting fairly into it. Which led me to the discovery of specialty notions for doll clothes, such as almost completely flat, super-thin Velcro and itty-bitty buttons and snaps the size of French lentils. (Although not quite as tasty.) I wasn't easy, even in this internet age, to find these micro items, just as hat wire for a 12th century headdress is a bit of a hunt to find. You know how it is. But once found, they are worth it. I don't know how I got by without them.


I made this light-box type thing to photograph the doll in. It's working out okay. Once again, an expensive architectural education is paying off, sort of. In areas completely unrelated to architecture.

No comments: