Friday, August 13, 2010

The Holy Grail and the Fountain of Youth, Too!

You hear about people making amazing discoveries. You see them post about finding Alice Starmore books at thrift stores for US$2, or buying a cashmere sweater at their local Goodwill for $1 every other week. It happens to other people, on other blogs, other people who live in charmed places where no one knows the value of what they are practically giving away.

Whoo-hoo! It is now my turn!

Guess what I got at a yard sale on the way home today? Yep - bone crochet hooks! My dad is somewhat of an expert on bone, and he took a good look at them for me. He thinks most of them are some kind of antler. But the second one down from the top - the one that's plainer than the others - is ivory. Normally he'd be able to tell me what kind of ivory, but he's not sure if it's elephant or narwhal tusk, etc. He is sure it was cut with a fine saw, etc. My dad is a junkhound. (Scroll down to see his old bottles and rocks.) Especially when it's old junk. So he was almost as excited as me. I need to do more research, but I'm pretty sure these hooks are turn of the century. And I paid US$2.50 for each of them. :P

Oh, and that background fabric? That's just a 100% cashmere sweater I found at the local thrift store a couple days ago for US$5.00. Looks terrible on me, but has a lot of recycling potential.

No comments: