Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The dawn was quite beautiful this morning.

Did I just say "dawn"?

Um, yeah. I was jogging this morning. Sort of. Rambling, perhaps. Daybreak is my favorite time of day, but I usually enjoy it by staying in bed. It's difficult to remember at 6 o'clock in the morning that the dawn casts everything in a wondrously delicate and larger- than-life light, and that the day works out better with an early start. At 6 o'clock in the morning I mostly remember that the cat has been waking me every half hour or so "to play" (Translation: "to antagonize me by jumping over my head until I toss a book at him so that he can flee in terror, only to return a moment later, confused by the lack of angry pursuit.") and that the valet won't have the tea and scones ready for at least a couple more hours.

Not that I have a valet. But I'm usually half-awake at 6 am (if even that) so I might think at the time I have a valet, if you know what I mean. And a butler to corner the cat. I tell you, it's hard to get good service after 7 am these days, what with all the racket the alarm makes.

Knitting
I have almost completed the vintage raglan cardigan. I am at the armpits on the left front panel. Once I block it, graft the band at back of the neck, sew down the button flap and the pockets and seam the right sleeve and sideseam, it'll be done. Oh, and sew the buttonholes together and put the buttons on.

Speaking of buttons, if it wasn't for the complete muck-up of my buttonhole spacing I'd be seaming this sweater tonight instead of knitting it. I spent much of last night dropping stitches and re-knitting the buttonholes. I am beginning to see the appeal of sewn-on button bands. You can see in the link above to an older post about this sweater that the button-band folds over and is part of the front panel. It looks very nice but I can't help wondering if there's a better way.

Anyway, expect a photo extravaganza of this sweater soon.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

lovely description of the dawn. You should be a writer :-)

Unknown said...

Smart ass! :)