Sunday, October 30, 2005

Hi, Grandma!

Blog counters are really handy things. Not only are they entertaining to an obsessive and wandering mind, they also reveal disturbing realities that could otherwise remain ignored, like traffic patterns.

I am the most frequent visitor to my site. The second most frequent visitor is my 78 year old grandmother, who lives 2000 miles away from me. Everyone else is just lost.

This is good and this is bad. It is good because I have just scored 5 balls of white worsted wool and a ball of black/white wool (enough for a hat) for knitting from my Grandma. It is bad because while I have always chosen quality over quanity, I was hoping for a just a little more of an audience. Like, three or four regulars. Hopefully people who make things, too.

KNITTING UPDATE
I have been working on my boyfriend's scarf off and on all week. Intarsia has never really been appealing to me unless it is strictly traditional, like Fair Isle or Setesdal sweaters, so I wanted to get it over with ASAP so that I can move on to other, more interesting projects, like the fingerless gloves/mittens in Knitty for Sibling #8. Also, it friggin' snowed yesterday! In October! It didn't stick but it gave me one hell of a scare.


Progress shot.

Proof once again that stocking stitch curls.

Finished Object!


I completed it tonight. It was curling like crazy so I gave it a single stitch crochet border in the hope of controlling it somewhat. No such luck. It did however improve the overall appearance of the scarf. (Remember, even though I knit and designed it, I am not really responsible for this scarf's aesthetics. My boyfriend chose the colors and the bold geometric pattern.)

I used four balls of Mission Falls 1824 Wool 100% merino superwash (2 balls red, 2 balls black) and knitted it up using a pair of US #8 dpns. The crochet hook was 4 mm, a little too small. I really , really like this yarn. I'm already fantasizing about a hat and mittens (just in black!) to go with the scarf.

I was too lazy to block it so I just misted it a lot and ironed it out. I'll block it next weekend. Maybe.

2 comments:

Mona said...

I had to laugh when I read your comments about the visitor counter. I know I've felt the same way about my blog. Keep at it, though, and include your blog link in all of your list posts. Eventually you will get a following.

Unknown said...

I am so computer incompetant on a Monday morning that it took me about five minutes to figure out what you mean.

So, thanks! and BTW, how did YOU get here?