Friday, January 20, 2006

no witty title today

Today I:

  • had a cup of O'Soy! peach yogurt and coffee for breakfast
  • had a banana for Second Breakfast
  • am eating pesto potato gnocchi with sauteed mushrooms and an apple for lunch
  • am hung over from just one beer, I am so tough
  • took a vitamin
  • took an Advil

Yesterday I got my FLAK yarn in the mail, the chocolate-colored Wool of the Andes that I keep mistakenly referring to as "chocolate-covered." Hopefully 14 balls is enough for a small Aran sweater. I swatched the filler stitches last night and I'm ready to roll with the cable swatch, finally. I was originally going to use that natural white worsted weight Orchard Yarn my Grandma sent me, but upon swatching it to gauge I discovered that "worsted" is a lie: it's really more like DK. Fine. I have a lot of DK patterns, more than is good for me, actually.

Knitting Olympics

Speaking of DW weight, I chose my Knitting Olympics project: "Fleur" from Rowan's Vintage Style book. I've been wanting to make this sweater for a while. I already have the yarn: 6 balls of "coal" Merino Style from KnitPicks. I hope six is enough. I'm a 34" chest so it probably will be. My hope is this sweater is simple enough and small enough to be possible.

Next weekend I'm going to swatch for it.

Must. Have. Wristwarmers.

I still haven't mailed the X-mas presents I knitted for Sibling #1 and her kids yet because I am having a difficult time letting go of the Voodoo wristwarmers. They're not perfect - I would do the thumb gusset differently, and the yarn kind of itches - but they are surprisingly addictive. Esp. when I'm on the computer. Maybe it's '80's nostalgia, I don't know, but I'm going to make myself a pair, except... totally different.

It'll be a 2-part knitting project, Part 1 being knitting Sibling #1 a pair of wristwarmers that incorporate the structural features I want changed out of that red Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk I have lying around, begging to be used. Part 2 is when I make a pair for myself, incorporating aesthetic changes. I have some black alpaca that was going to be a hat that I don't need. I'm sure it won't mind.

Last night, I:

  • watched The Legend of Bagger Vance
  • knitted on my aquamarine socks some
  • had pesto gnocchi with mushrooms for dinner with a Harpoon IPA
  • followed my cat around the apartment, cleaning up after his pukey hairballs

No comments: