Monday, November 07, 2005

Going Full-On K.I.P

I have a time, I have a place, I have a knitting circle. This is as astonishing to me as ironing with an ironing board (so much easier! No, really! It is!) or when the apartment heat turned on (the day we moved in, sometime this past summer). Perhaps I have not been entirely spoiled by life and still have some venues to explore with bright-eyed, child-like amazement.

Or maybe I am so underprivileged that I don't take so-called "typical" things for granted. I used to think about that back when I lived in a former chicken-hatchery in my father's back yard, propping my furniture up on bricks so that the rain leaking in through the half-constructed South wall wouldn't cause irrevocable damage. (This was when my yen for construction really kicked in, full throttle.) I used to dream of getting a good wood pile nearby, rather than all the way across the yard, in the field. (Yard= 1.5 acre) Dream of the day I would have a lock so reliable that the Vietnamese pot-bellied pig couldn't break in and root through my clothes while I was out.

Oh, the Good 'ol Days before city living spoiled me, when interpersonal relationships were complex and mind-boggling ("What was your maternal grandmother's maiden name? No, sorry, we can't date: you're my fourth cousin, twice removed. Too risky.") and economics really quite simple .

Had a really excellent chocolate mousse and hot chocolate at an Italian cafe down the street from my apartment last night. Next time I'm having a fruit-infused grappa.

MINOR NOTE OF PANIC, HOWEVER
What am I going to wear? It's directly after work, so I might be wearing something like I'm sporting today - knee high black boots, a black cashmere pullover, gray cat-eye glasses, gray skirt, my hair out to my shoulders (big tousled poof) - in essence, the uniform of a slutty librarian. * Ye gods. Must do laundry tonight and think hard.

*I take that back. I dress like a Beatnik librarian. But what's a person to do? Black matches everything!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's my first all-sock book, and I'm feeling pretty lucky. When I hit the Crisis Point on the heel i was able to go back to the generic descriptions of the heel types and rework it as I pleased, which was very, very nice indeed!