Thursday, November 10, 2005

I got a free journal!...And I did some knitting, too

I went to the North End Stitch 'n Bitch knitting circle (meeting?) Wednesday night. Nothing really traumatic occurred, thank goodness, except that I revealed that I am an off-the-wagon-and-on-again-as-it-suits-me vegan/vegetarian.

Way back in 1999 I was vegan. I was passing through LA's Japanese neighborhood on my way to the East Coast and ran across a shop that sold mochi. (Have you ever had mochi? Basically it's a scoop of gelato without a cone or cup. Look it up.) They had green tea flavor, the memory of which knocked me down so hard off the back of that wagon that I went ahead and had the red bean, too. I was pretty good about being a lacto-vegetarian from then on... for a while. School got very stressful and I noticed there was sushi place nearby. I thought to myself: "I bet they have green tea ice cream." I needed comfort food (and lots of saki). But of course I couldn't just have a side order of green tea ice cream and a bottle of saki to go from a ritzy Japanese restaurant - I needed a plan. Maybe if I had some food first, then dessert, they wouldn't think I was some deadbeat student like everyone else in the place. So I cleverly ordered the 18-piece sushi/maki platter with a miso soup starter to throw them off my trail. (What was I supposed to do? I was hungry!)

So what do you call it when you eat eggs, dairy products, seafood, and every four months or so totally binge by eating a whole package of bacon (cooked) by yourself, without hashbrowns or eggs , or even toast?

Wait, I don't want to know.

I met several people at the Stitch 'n Bitch meeting from the neighborhood that I, of course, had quite typically never seen before in my life. (Philly taught me to never, ever make eye contact on the street if I could help it.) I will mention one in particular, a woman named Mara, because I scored blank journal off of her. Apparently she is a graduate of the North Bennett Street School Bookbinding Department and had about half a dozen pieces of student work cluttering up her abode that she needed to purge herself off. I was only too glad to help. (All that time playing the card game "War" when I was a teenager has finally paid off.)

I am a big fan of this color red.
Not that I use journals that much, though.

No comments: