Thursday, December 01, 2005

Pictures!

Today I:

  • had a piece of toast with cream cheese and nutritional yeast and a cup of coffee for breakfast (I should develop some kind of acronym or shorthand for this, shouldn't I?)
  • had a tuna fish and spinach sandwich and a banana for lunch
  • still want to move to the boonies and paint
  • actually took pictures and uploaded them. Yay!

This is that alledged scarf I knit for my sort-of-mother-in-law. Very quick knit! The best part was that I bought two balls of yarn for this project and I managed to make an acceptable scarf using just one! I can return the other one for $$$ or credit now. Can you say, "Recycled shopping money" ?

This is about where I am with my mom's socks. There is progress happening, just very, very slowly. About three times a day I pick them up and knit a couple rows, but frankly, I'm feeling a little burnt out on them, especially since I'm not making them for myself.

So instead of taking these socks (and these socks alone) to the knitting circle Weds. like a responsible, consistent knitter, I also brought the red alpaca/silk DK yarn I bought for Sibling #1's hat. I finished it last night, and a have to say, I have never seen a hat more in need of blocking than this one. My sister is not a pinhead, so I think she would appreciate a nicely rounded crown.

Hats are becoming one of my favorite things to knit. I used to be able to crochet a hat in an hour, and now I can knit one in five! Relatively instant gratification has returned to my life, ushering in a new era of me prancing around the apartment at midnight wearing nothing but a hat and sorely clashing nightgown.

The pattern from this hat is from Rowan's Classic Weekend, which is geared toward cashsoft aran yarn. I opted for Debbie Bliss alpaca silk DK (80%/20%). The pattern called for 100g of yarn for a solid color hat (which is two balls), so without thinking of the differneces between the brands, I got two balls.

This is also what I got:

I'm beginning to think that maybe I shouldn't have assumed each ball was 50g. Apparently I don't even need a full 100g of Debbie Bliss for this hat pattern. Notice that little ball on the right? That's what's left over from this hat. Cha-Ching! That left hand ball is going back to the shop, and the tiny ball is going in the Stash Isolation Center to keep the rest of my alpaca yarn company.

One of the women from the North End Stitch 'n Bitch group, Lissy, subscribes to the Yarn of the Month, club. As a result, lucky me scored 1 oz of humanely produced silk yarn. I made it into a brooch. The petals are simply variations on the leaves in the back of Rowan #36, strung together on the tail end of one of them and tied off. The center is a ball crocheted from the same yarn. The seed beading was the most fun I've had in a while, which really says something about my life. Currently I'm on a somewhat lazy mission to come up with the perfect flower brooch, so this won't be the last one you see from me.

Last night, I:
  • had a tuna fish and spinach sandwich for dinner (Does that sound familiar? Can you guess what I did with the other half of the can?)
  • was delighted by my boyfriend/partner/whatnot's ability to psychically tune into my desire for cheap red wine
  • had too much cheap red wine, and half a mint
  • went home early from work, claiming I was seeing double on the screen
  • really was seeing double on the screen
  • decided maybe I should make more of an effort to get new glasses
  • remembered I don't need glasses to knit. I'm near-sighted!

No comments: