Friday, May 12, 2006

Friday FO's

Today I:

  • had a croissant and cup of coffee for breakfast
  • called in sick to work
  • ate eight brussel sprouts for lunch
  • had some walnuts and snow peas for Second Breakfast

There is an up side to being sick. You know, other than not being at work. Esp. if it's not a truly debilitating sickness. I've got stomach cramps, I'm a little tired, a felt a wave of weird dizziness when walking to work yesterday. That's about it. I'm trying to eat things my stomach will like and watching a lot of DVDs.

And, of course, I'm knitting.

Wavy Socks

Pattern: my own

Size: 66 CO, 9" foot on US #2 (2.75 mm) dpns

Yarn: Sockotta (Color 6)

They are done! Hopelessly flawed, but finis! I was in such a rush with them that I didn't compare the number of stitches I used for the heel flap on #2 with #1. The number of stitches in the heel flap determine how many ribs got knit across the top of the foot. Sock #2 has one less rib. Whoops. But these socks, they are the same size: 9" long at the foot.

I found my sock-size chart this morning that compares shoe sizes to actual foot length. According to it, my mom has an approximately 10 1/2" long foot. It is sheer coincidence that this is also her shoe size. For me, a sock that is 1" shorter than my foot fits comfortably. So this morning is riddled with doubts about these socks. Mismatched, possibly 1/2" too small.

Naturally, I am pushing it out of my mind. To know they are too small, Mom will have to try them on first. And since the entire purpose of this pair of socks is to get her do exactly that, as opposed to, say, putting the socks in a glass frame to hang in the foyer, the odds are about 50/50 she will notice. Which of the two pairs of socks I have made her she will sully with her feet now that she has a back-up pair is a matter of much speculation with me right now.

Father's Day

I'm on top of these family holidays today. Here's the hat I started as a Father's Day present last night.

Pattern: my own

Size: large

Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease (Color 113)

Gauge: 20s = 4" / 10 cm on US #7 dpns

Yesterday, I:

  • had a "veggie burger" for lunch with a latte from Lulu's
  • ate soem cauliflower, some snow peas, walnuts, strawberries, and pasta salad all day
  • drank mineral water
  • watched stupid movies

3 comments:

arianna said...

yeah yeah sure, we all know you really just took the day off so you could get some good knitting in, in time for Mother's Day! ;)

seriously, though, way to make the deadlines AND be on top of things. despite being sick!

Jeanette said...

It is also very likely that neither sock will be worn, in which case, size won't matter.

Carrie K said...

She will love them. She will wear them. Or else.

Which stupid movies?