Friday, May 26, 2006

Wardrobe Refashion 2006

The Wardrobe Refashion Pledge

I, Christine of Crisis of Praxis,

Pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 6 months.

I Pledge that I shall refashion, renovate, recycle pre-loved items for myself for the term of my contract.

I Pledge that I shall create and craft items of clothing for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract.

I Pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovated, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftiness brings!

Of course, the last wearable I bought was a pair of shoes a couple months ago. And before that... last month I bought some organic cotton tights from Whole Foods, and I think right after Thanksgiving (or was it X-mas?) I bought a pair of striped pants for work, and a bra. During the summer I bought eight pairs of white cotton undies from Victoria's Secret, which proved to me it's still possible to scandalize someone who works in a lingerie store.

I am a shopping fiend, obviously. Which is why I took the 6 month challenge. At the moment, the only thing I'm wearing that I bought new is my Doc Marten's and my underwear. My jacket, my slacks, my shirt, my glasses... they all came from a thrift store or an antiques flea market. This is pretty typical of me. I have nearly always been very broke, and when I do find clothes or whatnot, I usually have to alter them to fit me whether or not they're new or used. So I just go for used most of the time because frankly department stores depress me. * I think it's the Muzak and the lighting and yeah, nothing fits or reflects my style. That's a downer.

So there will be some refashioning, etc., going on around here. More reporting on thrift finds, which I have been neglecting lately. Perhaps this weekend I'll finally hem those two pairs of pants I got at Goodwill two months ago.

*However, the last time I was in Macy's I found a $10 bill in an aisle

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

A lot of restrictions in a short time, no caffeine, no alcohol, and now shopping?!

Carrie K said...

I never find money. Of course I'm blind as a bat, but still.

I'm not much for wandering around stores as entertainment - because I'd rather be in almost any other circle of hell, but I can't say I'm not a shopper. So are you thrifting it or making it? Not that sewing or knitting doesn't break the budget.

Anonymous said...

hon, i sympathize. i gave up diet coke eight months ago (though it was caffeine free cuz I get migraines). I just like the bubbles. Looooooved dem bubbles, specially with breakfast. But the d.c. was making me want more food and doing other evil things to my body that I'm sure scientists in laboratories know all about but I merely suspect. You can do it, hon! Just do it one day at a time, and when that seems like too much, one hour at a time, or even less.