Friday, May 26, 2006

Spring

Today I:

  • have a headache
  • had an onion bagel with salmon cream cheese and cup of white tea for breakfast
  • had a cup of Green tea
  • am switching over temporarily to darjeeling with vanilla soy milk
  • am having veggie sushi, seaweed salad and kettle chips for lunch

Everyone is posting pictures of spring arriving in their neighborhood, so not to be left out I have this picture I took on the way to work:

Hardly sweet peas and snapdragons, is it? Gosh I miss nature. Not that I was ever one to spend a lot of time at the beach or go hiking or anything, but I did used to garden, walk through nature on the way to places, and climb the occasional plum or apple tree. I think I actually did spend a lot of time outdoors as a child, come to think of it. Mostly in trees. I dig those trees.

I'm getting that feeling again. Yep, Rural Nostalgia. Mind, I'm not a farm girl. When I was little, my dad was a logger and my mom was a secretary at the mill. We had pigs - I'll admit that - but practically everybody has pigs, right? Esp. 300 lb. ones that break out and sit on neighbor's porches, staring in their sliding glass doors. And maybe there were some chickens, but they don't really count, because they're stupid, like the ducks. And the horse wasn't all that bright, either. But yeah, it wasn't a farm. There really wasn't much farming in the area, mostly private vegetable gardens. Too many trees in the way for that. Not to mention mountains.

I would love to be in a cabin right now, with a porch overlooking a field of wildflowers, a working septic system, a pot-bellied stove and an internet connection. Order by yarn on-line, get the truck stuck in the mud in the drive for a couple hours, wear rubber boots practically 24/7. Fight with a squirrel over my sandwich on a sunny afternoon. Ah, yes.

Too bad I'm at work.

Last night, I:

  • had fish and chips and a cranberry-tonic in a pub
  • finally picked up my laundry
  • had a headache (but what else is new?)

No comments: