Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Let this be a warning to you all

Today I:
  • had a whole wheat bagel with broccoli sprouts, cream cheese, and lox for breakfast with a cup of white tea
  • had a banana for Second Breakfast
  • am having a vegan microwave dinner for lunch
  • really don't mind the rain

This rain is awesome. It's like being home. Only, the car isn't getting stuck in the mud and there's no quartet Sunday nights at the coffeehouse. Ah, California. (My boyfriend/ partner/ whatnot calls this kind of weather "California winter".)

Diet

I mean "diet" as in "nutrition", not "diet" as in starving. I like food, I like having a body that gets out of bed when ever it wants to. (Not necessarily every day.) I also like being happy. Call me weird.

The Bitter Knitter, Jeanette, and I were talking about how poor our eating choices are and agreed to spend June on a very modified diet. A Raw Food diet. It sounds good, but I did a bit more research on Raw Foodism and it isn't something that can be done for just a trial month. I am not buying a juicer, and I can't really be trusted to turn sprouts in a jar on time, or even remember I have them. I am also by nature an eater who likes something very, very close to instant gratification. So no Raw Food June for me. Instead, Very Modified Food June. Here are the rules I'm giving myself:

  1. If I put in x amount of energy toward feeding myself, feeding myself in June cannot take up more than x+(1/2x), if you know what I mean.
  2. No animal products if I can help it. (Is that veggie burger vegan? I'm not going to worry about it.)
  3. No living on tater tots. Living on tater tots is fun, but bad form. And the tater tots must be baked, not fried. *sigh*
  4. No coffee. Tea is okay.
  5. No alcohol.
  6. Eat a green "salad" of some sort every day. If I can shove it in a bun, fine.
  7. 50% of what I eat must be raw, hopefully organic.
  8. I am not allowed to eat an entire can/box of olives in one sitting. Bad girl.
  9. Same goes for nuts.
  10. Drink at least 2 glasses of water a day (not from the tap)
  11. Avoid processed sugar
  12. Do not flip out at the boyfriend/ partner/ whatnot

June might be very tough month.

Last night, I:

  • had a veggie pot pie and a spinach/cabbage/heart of palm salad for dinner
  • drank a cup of chamomile
  • met an SCA knitter
  • drank a Peroni
  • sat in the Copley Square library courtyard and watched the rain, only to find my camera battery was dead

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

I am still planning on the raw month, I am going to get a cheap dehydrator, the sprouting I will do in jars and I can't fathom juicing things on my own.

wenders said...

I cannot imagine doing what you guys are talking about. Whoa.

Carrie K said...

No coffee? I would never be able to do that.

Tap water is often times much better than bottled water. It depends on where you live.

Some veggies are actually more nutritious steamed. (Naturally, I can't think of any, but I'm pretty sure broccoli is one of them).

Anyway, good luck! But that last one? Doesn't belong in a raw food list. Besides, no coffee, limited nuts/olives, modified raw food diet? I think you've got enough on your plate.

Carrie K said...

And where is my chapter this week????

Jennifer said...

I've heard good things about the Raw diet. At the very least, you should feel physically better. Cutting back on sugar will do that for you on its own.

Zee said...

Good plans. June might not be easy, but it will totally be worth it. :)

bitterknitter said...

I'm going to do some reading on the raw food diet. I think that I can do mostly raw for a month without a dehydrator, juicer, or sprouting. I'm going to try to anyway. As I'm sitting here eating a peach it sounds even more appealing!

Anonymous said...

Dude -- TWO stinkin' glasses of water a day? THAT is what you should be most concerned about, your utter lack of hydration! Kick that up to 8 glasses a day or if that shocks your system, how about 4 or 6 to start? Seriously, whether you do the raw food thing for a month or not, that is one change you really need to consider for life! My dad wound up in the emergency room a month ago from dehydration -- i've never seen the guy drink anything but soda and coffee. That scares the piss outta me. I mean well, even if my alarmed tone is abrasive. Drink up, chick!